Gun Nut

Since I broke my leg, I've been casting about uselessly for something to do with myself now that my main hobby/obsession is impossible for me and may be thus for the rest of my life.
At the same time, I have a sizeable collection of guns I inherited from my father last year, so my long-standing interest in guns and shooting has naturally rekindled.
Recently this interest has kicked into high gear. I've been watching a ton of videos on Youtube, reading different websites, and logging onto gun and shooting websites galore.
I even went and took a concealed-carry class in order to get my CCW permit. Looked at different ccw guns and learned all I could about size, weight, calibre, mag-capacity, and overall cost.
Two Youtubers stood out for me in my search: Hickok45 and Nutnfancy. Both really know a great deal about guns, and both are interesting, entertaining, and inspiring to watch. Hickok is more of a shooter and down-to-earth kind of guy, whereas Nuntnfancy is more of a moral crusader of living life to its fullest and taking the second-amendment right to bear arms supremely seriously. Both influnced my views on guns and concealed carry.
So which gun did I decide upon for my ccw needs?
At first, I wanted to get a KelTec PF9. It is small, a pocket-carry gun, but it is a 9mm, which is as low calibre as I'm willing to go for ccw. It is also pretty cheap, so I was immediately interested with the wife being unemployed and all.
Next, and after a lot of research, I became interested in the Taurus, and then the Baretta, both in subcompact size, and both in .45 calibre. I figured if I could find a compact or subcompact gun, why not go in the larger calibre?
Then I watched a lot of vids by Hickok45 and became convinced that Glock was the way to go. Nutnfancy also admires the Glock, calling the G30 a powerhouse or some such thing. Perhaps he said, "freight train"? I can't recall and I'm too lazy at this late hour to look it up.
So I traded a Czeck CZ75 and a S&W .38 for a G30 at a local gun shop.
Been to the range a couple of times, shot about 400 rounds through it at 7, 14, and 25 yards, and I'm happy to say I made a great choice, even if I am still learning about this gun, how it works, and how to shoot it consistently. I can hit the target at various ranges, but not exactly where I am aiming. But then, this is a process, a learning curve, and I'm enjoying it immensely!
Will I go back to riding?
Hard to say.
Wife is against it.
REALLY against it.
But it is so in my blood, I'm not sure I want to give it up.
I'm still in pain, so I will wait on it a while more and think. Maybe I'll even ride a bit to see if the thrill is still there. Until then and in the meantime, I'm going to keep on shooting and learning and trying to recover.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Middle-Aged Man and Dr. Martens: A Love-Hate Story

My Experience Owning Two Scottish Terriers

Rage against One Machine by Way of Another