Aye, There's the R.U.B. (Rich Urban Biker)

Having endeavored to ride as much as possible, I've put about 2,000 miles on my new Road King. When added to the 1500 miles I put on the Softail, I realize that I've gotten in a lot of good riding in the six months since I first learned how to ride a motorcycle.

Over the last week or so, I've been blessed with some of the best weather of the entire year. As Fall fast approaches, the weather turns crisp, even down here in North Carolina, and with the change, come the many fragrances of falling leaves, cooler air and smoke from thousands of fireplaces.

Riding has been a distinct pleasure, and getting off of the bike has been a hard choice to make. The feel of being out on the road, in all that beauty, makes you never want to stop. When I arrived at my destination one recent afternoon, I had such an urge to just keep on going, consequences be damned!

It hasn't all been perfect though. The cooler days have meant really chilly early mornings, and downright uncomfortable nights, requiring the use of those embarassing leather chaps - you know, the ones that evoke images of the Village People, or that bar in Police Academy. Indeed, when I told my cool, hip brother of my purchase of said pants, he nearly peed.

But in their defense, I must say that they have been a godsend. The difference is striking. When I rode without them, I felt uncomfortably numb in a matter of minutes. With them on, I had no feeling of cold whatsoever.

The sad part about the whole thing is how thin my blood has gotten. When I got home from work at 10:30 last night, I was sure the temperature had to be down in the low 40's. Alas, it was 58 degrees. I guess that level of cool is downright frigid at 60 miles per hour. Clearly, if I want to adhere to my policy of riding whenever the weather is clear, I'm going to have to get used to the new temperatures.

I guess I'm doomed to be what my neighbor derisively calls a "fair-weather rider" because this morning, I just could not face the prospect of suiting up in all my leathers, just for a ten minute ride to class. Instead, I took the easy way out and got in the Golf. I'd like to be one of those die-hards you see out there in all the harshest weather, but I'm just not that devoted.
Besides, I think I feel a cold coming on.
I'm such a wuss!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Middle-Aged Man and Dr. Martens: A Love-Hate Story

My Experience Owning Two Scottish Terriers

Rage against One Machine by Way of Another