Out Back, Star-Gazing

Standing out under the stars, I thought how wonderful they all were, how wonderful was the great cathedral of lights made visible by the lack of the same from my own star.
It served as a reminder of my place, my tininess in the vastness of space. Then it hit me that in addition to reminding me of what is truly important (as well as unimportant) it also reminded me of a thought I've often taken up while star-gazing.
In four billion years, we are the first species on this planet to look up and know what we see, know where we are in it all. We are the first to conceive of it all, to seek it out and appreciate it. This made me think that if god does exist, he/she/it/they must have made the conceivers so they could share in what was made.
Maybe god just wants confirmation that it all exists? Maybe god just wanted to give some-thing the opportunity to experience the kind of profound awe only those who comprehend it all can feel?
If so, then god is just sharing, not directing, not ordering or requiring, just hoping. Maybe god is just hope?
That sounds about right to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Middle-Aged Man and Dr. Martens: A Love-Hate Story

My Experience Owning Two Scottish Terriers

Rage against One Machine by Way of Another