Why I Got a Tattoo



After many years of thinking about getting a tattoo and after many ideas coming and going, I finally made the leap and got a tattoo.
Originally, I wanted a Red Sox tattoo, until my wife at the time pointed out that it would be akin to getting a Coke tattoo. So that idea was out. I also wanted a Harley tattoo, but it would have been even more like Coke, so that was out.
I thought about getting a combination tattoo that had elements of different things I love, but that fizzled.
Then came my broken leg and the scars that came with it. I figured that I could get a tattoo on my leg since it was already messed up. So I thought and thought about what to put. . .
And then I got the idea to get a heritage tattoo.
So my tatto is a combination of ideas:
1. Tribute to my Irish heritage.
2. Tribute to my Father.
3. Interpretation of my name.
4. Superstition.
5. Reminiscent of my scarring.
6. Reminder of my accident and fragility.
7. Evocative of my profession (i.e., linguistics because it looks like x-bar theory.)
And that's about it.
So what is the tattoo? It is an Ogham inscription. Ogham is the ancient system of writing in Ireland, dating back to 500 A.D.
I wrote an Irish expression in this script: "cosantóir na creidmhigh." It means "Defender of the Faithful."
I also want to get another tattoo of a Celtic cross that has elements of four of my families' crests woven into it. This will go on my left leg.
As I get older and my body slowly melts into a puddle of shite, I figure that I am not defacing it any worse than time will.
Living with a tattoo for the rest of my life does not scare me in that the rest of my life may not even be that long. I'm 42, after all, and people start dying around this age, for various and stupid reasons. Might as well do what I enjoy and say "fuck it."
I still don't want to get any tattoos where they can be seen at work. I know that it would hurt my profession, so I will not do anything as dumb as get a forearm or neck tattoo.
But when I retire? Who knows! If I am still of a mind to do it, then I might just get sleeves!
At the age of 70, I hope to party and do crazy shit if I am able. Go skydiving, do risky things, etc. What's the worst that could happen?
Future tattoos might include something about the Peace Corps, Fiji, Harley, Red Sox (fuck it, I like Coke!), JangMi, Lynn, and some kind of tribute to my poochies.
I think I will get a tattoo on every scar I have from precancerous things I have gotten removed over the years. Why have a 3-inch line in my skin when I can turn it into something I actually WANT to have. Fuck it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Middle-Aged Man and Dr. Martens: A Love-Hate Story

My Experience Owning Two Scottish Terriers

Rage against One Machine by Way of Another