New Hobby Keeps Growing

Since I am leaning heavily towards not riding anymore, I have been trying to find something else to occupy my time and interest. Guns have filled this role. Thanks to the inheritance of firearms left to me by my father, I have begun to take a much more serious interest in shooting and reloading. I have gone to the range a lot more in the past six months than I ever have, and I even started shooting a Glock 30 (.45 ACP).
I got educated in the necessary bits that would enable me to get a concealed-carry permit, so now I'm able to pack heat, so-to-speak. I'm into holsters, shooting vids, ammo, reloading, and virtually all manner of handgun shooting.
Except for revolvers.
I just don't find myself being very enthused by them. They are perfectly good-looking guns, and no one can argue with their reliability. It's just that, for me, they don't inspire me. I think I am more practical in my approach in that I am thinking about the number of rounds, the quickness of reloading, and potential long-term durability.
After seeing the torture tests done on Sig Sauers and Glocks, I have become enamoured of the "plastic" guns, and I have been steadily collecting, refining, and drooling over future acquisitions. I don't think you are likely to find many torture tests done on revolvers.
Plus, I was never into the whole "cowboy mystique." I think a lot of people, especially people born before the 1970s, grew up with that kind of image in their minds of what a gun was. I grew up watching movies about World War II, and the gun I saw was a 1911 .45 ACP Colt semi-automatic pistol. That was my quintessential gun.
So when I finally went to buy my very own first gun, I sought out a 1911-style gun. The class I took in Hawaii to get the permission to even acquire a handgun had us fire a range of different pistols: Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, Colt, and Ruger. I liked the HK the most, Sig next, and Glock third. I ended up getting a Sig. The HK was too pricey, and the Glock's trigger and simplicity struck me as ugly at the time.
And for the next 7 years, that was the status quo.
My father often asked me over those years if I was going down to the range, but I was into motorcycles at the time, so I imagine he was frustrated that I wasn't as enthused as he was about shooting. His COPD made it hard for him to shoot much, so I think he wanted to live vicariously through me, but I wasn't into it like he was. It took his death and my subsequent accident to get me into shooting.
And so yesterday, I added to my collection by purchasing a nearly new Glock 35, supposedly the "Rolls Royce" of the Glock lineup, according to one review I read. I was looking for a Glock 21, but the look and feel of the G35 seduced me.
I ended up trading one of my father's revolvers for it, which made me feel bad, but then, I reasoned, the guns are mine now, not his. Plus, it wasn't like he had those particular guns for 50 years or anything. He bought, sold, and traded all the time. So I took the revolver down and traded it in. This is the second time and third gun of his I've done this with. I know that if he were alive, he'd be upset, but he isn't. If he were alive, I wouldn't have his guns, I'd have my Dad back, and I'd be much happier. . .
But I have to live my own life, and I am not into revolvers the way my Dad was. My gun is a semi-auto, and it most likely comes from Germany or Austria.
I have a dream lineup in mind, and beyond this, I don't know what I'll do. Here is the lineup: Glock 30, Glock 35, Glock 21, Sig P226, HK USP 45, Colt 1911a, KelTek PF9, Beretta 45, and then I'll start on the rifles: AR-15, AK-47, Thompson Sub-machine gun, M1a, and an MP5.
I think, in case the proverbial shit hits the fan, I ought to have every major caliber, so I'm looking to make sure I have 9 mm, .45 ACP, .40, .357, and .38. I'm also learning how to reload as well.
I often wonder what my father, if he is "up there, looking down on me," must be thinking of me and my decisions to trade in three of his beloved guns to get guns I like instead. I sometimes think he'd say, "Son, they're your guns now, so do what you want with them." And other times, I think he'd be pissed.
I really miss him. . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Middle-Aged Man and Dr. Martens: A Love-Hate Story

My Experience Owning Two Scottish Terriers

Rage against One Machine by Way of Another