Excursions!

Went back to Boston recently. It was more of a pilgrimage really. My accent came back with a vengeance, and I thoroughly enjoyed "awdarin a medium regulah at the DnD," eating what I call "Chinese food", and trekking around the "Nawth End" of Boston.
The high point of the trip was, of course, Red Sox related!!! When I arrived in Boston, I immediately knew that I had arrived in the land of my people! Sox flags, hats, bumpah stickahs - the whole range of iconography, showing love for the home town team. It was so nice to be enfolded in the warm and loving embrace of Red Sox Nation!!!
L and I took the green line into Kenmore to see if we could even get into Fenway to see a game. We saw a dude standing just outside the T station and we bought tickets, at 75 bucks a whack, to get decent seats in right field, home of the outsiders. At least I was in the frickin' place!!!! It was better than any amusement ride! I got a hat, ate a dog and drank a 6 dollah bee-ah. Mutheragawd it was wicked pissah!!! Even though it was the worst game of the season to that point. The Indians stomped on us 7 - 0. My friend Matt called to shout: "Yuh Jinxin em! Get atta theyah!!!" It may have been true...
-----------------------
Next came the trek to Raleigh, NC, prospective new home for the endlessly unsatisfied "us".

It started out badly. I arrived at Logan to find endless lines of really pissed off individuals, many of whom had been waiting since the night before when I noted, quite innocently, that there were beautiful thunderstorms all around.
I got bumped and shunted and ended up flying to various airports and waiting on stand-by several times before finally reaching Raleigh, 17 hours after the trip had begun. I could have driven!
Day one was lost, then day two was lost to illness. (Always factor in ONE day, at least, to be deathly ill.) Day two, that night, I was walking around the Crabtree Mall all dejected because, in addition to the loss of two days, my real estate ladies had dissed me. I had no prospects to see any houses and felt just awful. Then, I turned a corner and found Dick Scoville, real estate straight-arrow, who befriended me and showed me 30 or so houses in the next three days!!! It was great!! We drove all around North East and South East Raleigh, looking for places that had affordability, comfort, quality, ease of travel and, above all: QUIET!!!
I think we found it. It is a great house, and I have made an offer on it. We'll see.....
I really enjoyed Raleigh. Even though I was only there for 5 days, I found it to be a quiet, peaceful charming, genteel and warm place. People are friendly and caring of one another. I noticed respect for others, and a general easiness, that made for a very relaxing stay in a completely unknown environment. I fell in love with it.
But there are some things to which I shall have to become accustomed:
1. Driving. It is a car-town, that much is certain. Most roads are 2-3 laners, and the speed limit is 45, not 25, like in my dumb island paradise.
2. Space. I will have to get used to seeing far fewer numbers of people out and about. It is possible to drive and find no cars around, nor houses. Just trees and grass and farms!!
3. Planned communities. I am used to the willy-nilly development of Boston. I wanted a neighborhood like back in my "City of Sin", where there is no association, no controlling influence to which to be beholden. In Raleigh, most places are in "subdivisions". (Except the place I am hoping to move!)
4. The Southern Accent/Way: I am going to try to get the accent, since I find it quite "chahming," even if it makes me sound hickish. "Wha, boddah you?" As well, there is the Southern Way, which seems to me to be way more respectful of others. This is a huge one for me. I really hate it when people don't show basic consideration for others. This Island "tahd-fest" is full of that ridiculousness.

On the whole, I had a very nice trip, and it has given me hope that there is a place where I can go and hope to fit in. I know that it won't be perfect, but I am willing to try to adapt, as long as it is possible.!!!
Ahmattaheeah!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Middle-Aged Man and Dr. Martens: A Love-Hate Story

My Experience Owning Two Scottish Terriers

Rage against One Machine by Way of Another