Religion

-
What does it mean to be an atheist? Does it mean to not believe in a particular god? Does it mean that you don't believe in any god at all? And what is the connection between god and religion? Can one believe in a god without a religion? What about being non-theistic? Is that the same as being an atheist?

Having grown up in a religion, I had the typical foundation in christianity in that I was filled with guilt and fear. Being of a particular religion that deemed itself as having the truth, I also believed that everyone around me was going to die in armageddon, and that the wonderful end of the world was coming at any moment.

Everyone in school either hated me, pitied me or thought I was a nut-job. Imagine a 7 year-old screaming out in class that christmas was all a big conspiracy, built on pagan traditions and full of idolatry! I told all my friends that santa was a lie perpetrated by their parents. You can imagine how that one went over.

Yeah, religion didn't help me all that much. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad. I learned about right and wrong, and how people can be brainwashed. Having a religion open my mind in ways it had never intended. The brainwashing we were fighting was from another form of brainwashing that we were in. Also, I think that for some people, religion is great. It saves lives, brings peace and happiness. (But these individual benefits need to be seen in light of the mass negatives that it also brings with it - and we need not list those.)

For me, religion was a form of brainwashing, but through the years, I've noticed that many organized activities and institutions employ brainwashing to some extent.

Anyway, I am not much of a joiner, never have been. Religion for me is very personal, and I don't like it when people come to me with their religion and try to sell me on it. L. says it is like masturbation - keep it to yourself.

Do I believe in a god? Do I have the irrational faith required to believe in a supernatural deity? A motivating force?
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I go back and forth. I don't really think about it all that often because I think that since the question does not have a definitive answer for me, either through irrational faith or via nonrational faith required to "believe" in empirical data, I feel that it is not very productive to devote mental energy to it.

As for religion, I am non-religious and, in the way religion conceives of a god, I suppose I am non-theistic.

What is more interesting for me is the concept of faith. What is faith? Where does it come from? What is it for?

For me it is a form of trusting, and this trusting can be at any level.
So, I guess the real question is, do I trust in anything?
I suppose I do, but never unwaveringly. I believe that uncertainty is a necessary "evil", and that it motivates us to be more mindful.
I guess that is it then; I am a mindfully faithful person.
Now all I need is a point!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Middle-Aged Man and Dr. Martens: A Love-Hate Story

My Experience Owning Two Scottish Terriers

Rage against One Machine by Way of Another